Is Christmas Cheer Too Early in the Year?

Kiley Haberstrof, Marketing Assistant

Christmas is the time of year that many people count down to for months ahead of time. Decorations are up around town, Christmas carolers fill the neighborhoods, and the ground is no longer visible because of the snow, bringing excitement among many people. Say something about stores here

Although Christmas is in December, the busiest time for stores ranges from October to December. The idea is to intrigue people to buy the product sooner, but some people will become distant or irritated due to its early release.It has become convenient to buy the product earlier because then you’ll have it in time to put it up for the season.

Horizon student Sierra Ortega, sophomore, says, “I definitely like the decorations for Christmas, so it doesn’t really bother me that they’re up so soon. In fact, I like it cause it reminds me of my favorite holiday.”

Sierra exclaims that she’s one of the many people that will buy the decorations when they’re first out. However, it is known that the decorations are more expensive when they are initially released than after the holiday.

At Target, their original seven foot artificial Alberta Spruce tree is $280.00, which is out on Thanksgiving day. However, after Christmas week, the same tree costs about $125.00.

Horizon student Theo Strand, sophomore, says, “If I were to get a Christmas tree for Christmas, it would be after the [holiday] season because it’s less expensive”.

When asking Theo if he likes the decorations put up so early or not, he responded with, “Christmas is in December not October, that’s Halloween time. So I would prefer it if they were out in December rather than any other month. It gives more room for the other holiday decorations.”

For the shoppers who do not prefer the decorations being out so early, the main markets are not probably the place to shop. And if you would prefer to buy things cheaper, wait until after the holiday season so you can put it up for next year.