The Student News Site of Horizon High School

The Profile

The Profile

The Profile

Polls

What's the best part of Springtime?

• Flowers blooming (29%, 10 Votes)
  • Warmer weather (26%, 9 Votes)
  • Rain instead of snow (17%, 6 Votes)
  • Closer to summer (11%, 4 Votes)
  • Longer days (9%, 3 Votes)
  • Eating ice cream without getting cold (9%, 3 Votes)
  • Easter brunch (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 35

Loading ... Loading ...

The Important Lesson: What Highschool Taught Me

As I embark on the close of my time in high school, I reflect on what I have learned, what I’ve done, and who I have become. High school is filled with exciting experiences, and though I didn’t go to every football game or school dance, my time here was fulfilling, even if it was a bit unconventional. Rather than having any “significant” change or shift in personality, I think I had a change in perspective and self-discovery.

In the earlier years of high school, I always thought it would be like a movie, but soon found, it was not. Early on, I wanted the cliché high school experience, but I came to the realization that there was more to it. Academically, I always strived to do the best I could, and made working hard a priority. Growing up, I was a shy kid, I failed to speak up for myself, voice my op

inions, or ask for help. Throughout high school, I had many amazing teachers that made me feel comfortable asking for help. This gave me the confidence and determination to share my ideas, learn new things, and advocate for myself. 

Writing is something that came naturally to me, but getting insight from teachers helped me develop my skill set, and ultimately, I found something that I loved to do. At the centermost point of high school, I realized how quickly it was passing, I still didn’t know what I wanted to do post-graduation. My English teacher really pushed me, and I found a passion in voicing my thoughts through words. Discovering the art of journalism excited me, and I found something that I grew more and more enthusiastic about. I find beauty in words, the ability to captivate others, evoke an emotion or idea, all from the power of words. Within my writing over the past two years, I found maturity, accountability, and a better perspective of the world around me.

High school may not have been “picture perfect”, but I found my passion, my voice. Writing brought my plans for the future full circle, journalism would be my calling post-graduation. Of course, I have regrets, and things I wish I had done, but I am glad I let the important things supersede the arbitrary notion that high school is all about fun, and once in a lifetime experiences. It carries the weight of your future, and ultimately it is a vital piece of the puzzle, the puzzle of life, that is. I end with this, high school will not be the best years of my life, but it is a vital stepping stone when transforming from child to adult. The last four years have opened my eyes to not only what I want to do, but who I am, and what I want to become. As a result of this growth and transformation, I know I will go forth with the attributes necessary to becoming a valuable member of society, and to the world.