The Student News Site of Horizon High School

The Profile

The Profile

The Profile

Polls

What's the best part of Springtime?

• Flowers blooming (29%, 10 Votes)
  • Warmer weather (26%, 9 Votes)
  • Rain instead of snow (17%, 6 Votes)
  • Closer to summer (11%, 4 Votes)
  • Longer days (9%, 3 Votes)
  • Eating ice cream without getting cold (9%, 3 Votes)
  • Easter brunch (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 35

Loading ... Loading ...

Crafting in Class

Crafting in Class

As a distracted teenager, I need to find ways to divert my hyperactive limbs so I can focus in class. That is why I started bringing my crochet into class with me. Throughout my time here, I have seen a slight increase of other students bringing their crafts to class. But that begs the question, is it actually beneficial?

To begin, is crafting even good outside of the classroom? Short and long answers both conclude with yes. Crafting has been shown to boost self esteem, mood, and reduce stress among other things (shown by this article from Spector Health). Thinking about it in a logical way, it makes sense. Even just doodling in the margins can be therapeutic to the most dedicated students. 

Even while crafting can be a good coping mechanism, some types may have unfortunate side effects. Arthritis, carpal tunnel, or just general wrist pains are all possible for heavy knitters and crocheters, while finger pricks can be fatal for some sewists. However, they all have to do with genetics, hand anatomy, thin blood, and/or not taking breaks.

Crafting in general has many different types of media. Some people might like tufting rugs, while others embroider. Weaving. knitting, sewing, crocheting, jewelry making, scrapbooking, among others are all crafting. With that being said, some things just aren’t portable. Wheeling around an entire tufting gun and canvas just isn’t worth it.

With all that being said, some crafts are practically made to be portable. Friendship bracelet making, knitting, crocheting, drawing, etc, are all small, mostly compact and able to fit into any bag, including a school bag packed with textbooks.

The best part about most of these portable crafts, they are easy to learn or practice on! As a crocheter myself, I have to be crocheting while a teacher is lecturing/taking notes because it helps me focus on what they are saying. Putting forth any physical energy into a simple, repetitive motion can let your brain put the brain energy into listening. However, it is important to note that everyone learns differently. A repetitive motion can help others focus while for others it’s the only thing they can focus on. 

Long story short, it really depends on the person. I find it calming and fun, some might find it aggravating and annoying. My personal advice is to figure out what type of learner you are and how crafting (or lack thereof) may help you.