Back To Normal – First Week of Hawk Athletics

Back To Normal - First Week of Hawk Athletics

Delaney Jones

All students came back to Horizon in person, on August 19th 2021. We had our first full week of athletics ending the week with our very first football game of the year against Rock Canyon. The game also included both the Cheer and Poms teams along with a full student section for the first time since the Fall of 2019. Tanner Mills and Braden Wagner (HHS Seniors) carried out the Horizon and American flag onto the field before the start of the game, getting the student section rowdy and ready for the clock to hit zero to kick off the official football season! 

The final score of the game was 21-35, Horizon with the loss. However, Horizon held their own with the first score of the season by wide receiver, Blake Kramer (HHS Senior). In addition, varsity has a new freshman quarterback Alex Birch. In an interview with Coach Robet Wetta I asked, “What are your feelings on Alex Birch, why does he deserve to be on varsity football?”  Coach stated, “Alex has maturity and plays well beyond his years.” Showing his strength and how he will make significant improvement in the next years as he plays for the Horizon Football Team. In addition to the interview with Coach Wetta, I asked his feelings on the game and how Horizon has treated him in the past couple of months. “The first game we had great effort but it was not the outcome we wanted. And Horizon has been a great place with great kids, great staff and has been very welcoming. These boys have put in a great effort.” We are excited to see the rest of the football season and how these boys progress over the next couple of weeks! The next game is against Arvada West, September 9th, 2021. The game will take place at North Stadium, our home stadium, and the theme is jersey. Make sure to show up with tons of school spirit and your jerseys, supporting our varsity football Hawks! Our community and coaches have strong pride for our athletics and can’t wait for the weeks to come, win or lose. GO HAWKS!