The Scam of the Century

US College Tuition

The Scam of the Century

According to the College Board, as reported on collegedata.com, the average cost of tuition for the 2017–2018 school year was $34,740. 

According to the Washington Post, only 27% of college graduates a job related to their degree and of 2019, the countries student debut lies just over $1.52 trillion dollars. Everyone needs an education. It’s something teachers and parents have been telling students for years, but the real question is, is college worth it?

Many students save for college for years by working during the summer or school year, but with the average income of about $31,000 for most adults, it can take over twenty years to pay off student loans.

Colleges claim it’s not just the education you are paying for, but the experience.

Krista Phomnatha (‘20) says, “I think the IV college experience is more intense, but regular college’s charge too much. It’s not fair to charge so much for something so important.”

So how come colleges can get away with charging so much? Because colleges aren’t owned by the government, they can set their own prices, and because of the demand for a college education, colleges set their prices.

The thing people don’t realize, however, is while college is important, other forms of education are just as necessary. For example, mechanics and electricians jobs are just as important and just as needed in society, but they require trade school instead.

So perhaps a college education isn’t for you, that’s okay. It’s more important to find something you enjoy and do what you love.