New Year, New Records

Winter sports representing Horizon continue to dominate this season

Jailen Manzanares, Copy Editor

Introducing new athletes and returning ones, winter sports have made their way into the Horizon High School spotlight since December. The winter season includes sports such as: basketball (boys and girls), swimming (girls), and wrestling (boys and girls). The 2018-19 season has been very successful for the winter teams. With every year, there comes more improvement.

Boys’ basketball has started off their 2018-19 season with a few wins in the Warrior Classic (tournament held in Grand Junction), then faced the losses that followed in later games. However, one  thing that these boys have not given up on is their stamina and motivation to show that famous Hawk pride!

No matter how cliche it sounds, teamwork is truly the key to success. Being on a basketball team means that players are able to rely on each other. That’s what sports families are for– to guide you through the game. So far in this season, Horizon Boys’ Varsity has a current record of seven wins and seven losses.

As for girls’ basketball, the Lady Hawks  have been dominating the season with a record of 11 to four, so far. With a team of 13 girls, they are bringing real heat to the court.

The girls’ team has eight seniors, which could lead to a younger team next year, depending on how many athletes try out for the team. This gives younger varsity athletes a chance to practice with older players, so they are able to learn from their older teammates about how to lead and be part of the team.

Wrestling isa sport that can be easily forgotten by some, considering that it works in tournaments instead of single games. Although it’s not as attended as other sports, these athletes work just as hard. Girls are becoming more involved in this sport, including students such as junior Sascha Fowler. Horizon’s wrestling athletes train hard to be strong enough for their tournaments. Their dedication and determination pushes them to success.

To keep up with winter sports– such as statistics, schedules, and rosters– check out Maxpreps.com and search Horizon High School. Teams also have separate Facebook pages for each sport and other extracurriculars. The pages include public information that is easy to access. Mr. Tonjes, athletic director, also updates the scores for the teams on Twitter. That can be found @HorizonHawksAD. Take a look, and go support Horizon’s athletics this winter!