Traveling the 5C(s)

Peyton East, Sports Editor

If you’re like me, you are probably wondering what the heck 5C is, and why it is important to all students in the Adams 12 Five Star School district.  Well, buckle up– because you are about to get a full course on why we need to care.

5C is referred to as a “ballot issue,” and people all over Colorado had the chance to vote on it and voice their opinion. I’m sure you remember seeing signs, posters, and commercials all over the place saying either, “Vote yes on 5C,” or, “Vote no on 5C,” but what does this mean?

Also known as the Mill Levy Override, 5C is a game changer for anyone in the Adams 12 district. Voting yes and passing 5C means that Adams 12 would receive around $27 million to help update our schools. This money would help us get new materials in our schools, reduce class sizes to create a better learning environment, make up for classes that lack an interactive online component, and stay competitive in hiring high-quality teachers by increasing teacher salaries.

So the question is: why would anyone oppose the idea of giving more money to schools? Well, to vote no on 5C means that Adams 12 schools would not receive any money, saving the taxpayers money. There would be an increase in property tax, which would ultimately deface higher value homes. Not to mention the fact that people feel like the state has defunded the schools for years, so they believe it is not fair to ask the community to make up for it.

Many people were very split on this issue, but ultimately the issue passed. Obviously, this made many teachers and other school officials very happy.

“I was very very thankful,” says Horizon’s Steve Lash. He explained that without 5C passing, the school could have faced cuts. In this respect, it is a very good thing that it passed– but some changes won’t be too noticeable, because they are going to be making up for the cuts. Mr. Lash participated in going door-to-door to inform people what the 5C ballot issue was all about.

“It came through the Teachers Association. We had a total of ¼ of our teachers, including all 4 of our administrators.”

Basically, all of the teachers went door to door to inform people around our community about what exactly 5C is. “In total, we knocked on about 20,000 doors,” and they are pretty confident that this process helped get the issue passed.  

All in all, both sides make very valid points about the issue. Now that the issue has passed, there is nothing that anyone can do about it. The schools will receive the money, and hopefully, make a positive impact on students.